Subject: Re: FFT?
From: [email-masked] (Scott C. Czarcinski)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 93 16:20:39 PDT

-------
FFT, or Fast Fourior Transformation is a method of signal processing, where 
energy is averaged. (ie: a piece of 8 bit data would have signal values of 
34454645 would be averaged, and then return a value of 44444444.) FFT's are 
used in Industry, and by the Government agencies.
   What this allows for is data smoothing, by ways of a moving window. By
sampling data withing a frequency range (could be anything) you can
"filter" out or "enhance" certain types of data. (This would be dependant
upon a predefined sample window size.) - For example, a small window size
would enhance small bandwidth signals. (A 5k hertz tone for example.) While 
a wide window, say 32 or 64 bits would average out the same 5k hertz tone,
but it would enhance a signal with a wide bandwidth. (Say a band of energy
that is from 5k-5.5k hertz wide.)

   Hope that helps!!!

			Scott Czarcinski
-------